February 26, 2014

Mental Health Day

At least once a week, I need what I like to call a "mental health" day. This is a day where I can do anything I want, even if it means hanging out in my pjs and nothing else.

I often find that people feel guilty over doing nothing. As if we're awful people for not checking off a certain number of items from our to-do list. We shouldn't feel that way! Everyone needs time to decompress. I seriously don't function well when my schedule is run, run, run and do, do, do. Somewhere in the middle of all that, I need a little time for… well, whatever I want.

To be honest, I usually don't just sit and do nothing. I can accomplish stuff on my mental health day, if I choose to. That's the key. 

So today, I did a lot of what some people might consider nothing. I slept in, and cuddled with my dog a bit. 



Ain't she cute? She's a terrific smuggler too. 

I took my time making breakfast, which I actually ate around lunch time (I made my magic avocado sandwich!). I checked my email, cleaned up the kitchen, and then spent an hour with a good book and a cup of coffee. 

I did manage two loads of laundry today. And I called a travel agent about some of our summer plans. And then I spent 3 hours on the phone, most of it chatting with my stateside pal, Abby. Miss her like crazy! 

I even warmed up leftovers for dinner. I'm, like, SuperWoman. 

I know it sounds like I'm a lazy bum, but this is what a mental health day is for. To relax and organize your brain, so it's ready to tackle the big stuff. Every other day this week, I've been running around. I'm out all day, taking care of business and enjoying the hustle and bustle of living in Europe. This weekend will be busy too. So today was my scheduled chill day. 

Yes, I schedule these things. It's ok. You can do it too, it's cool. 

I'm about to hit the sack, so I get a full eight hours before the crazy starts again. See, tomorrow I'm heading to a Fasching festival with ACS. Yesterday, I was in the Czech republic. Friday, I'm grocery shopping and paying bills and all sorts of menial tasks. The weekend is already packed with two full days of fun.

My brain needed to catch up. 

I'll be back soon with a great post about my trip into Czech. I sorted a few of the photographs this evening, but mental health took over and I'm done for the night. Here's a quick sneak peak:


Do you take days for some rest and relaxation, or is that just me? I'll catch ya on the flip side, keep a lookout for my next post about Cheb, the cute little town you see in the photograph above. 


Thanks for reading, everyone!
Follow me on Facebook @ OurArmyLifeAccordingToTheWife
or on Pinterest, my newest obsession ArmyLifeFromTheWife

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday was my mental health day, too! And I'm glad we got to spend part of it together (across the world) getting to chat. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too!! Some of my favorite days are when I get to chat with you :)

      Delete